Saturday 17 May 2008

Enroute to Ecuador, May 17, 2008

Well, excuse me if this blog page isn't as coherent as it could be...the captain hasn't made my coffee yet!! We left Golfito, Costa Rica, at noon May 16th 2008. It is now 7:15am, as I write this and hopefully am able to send it via HAM radio. We have had a very uneventful trip, so far, and that's how we like it! We've seen a few dolphins and flying fish, and one VERY LARGE freighter that came too close!

We encountered a 1 knot current, in our favour, just after leaving Golfito. We have been fortunate enough to have had that most of the night. There has been no wind to speak of, or some on our nose. Fortuitous doesn't like wind up her nose, and refuses to sail in it. We're hoping for some wind to help us along. Now 100 nm from land.

Ralph and I usually have a day watch sched that is very casual...I'll watch, you watch situation. Generally, he ends up doing more than his share. However, I do all the cooking/dishes, so it probably all comes out OK.

Our usual night pattern is Ralph to bed at 9 pm and up at 2 am; me to bed at 2 and up at 7. That is what we did last night, but because it is hot and light at 5, I can't sleep. I can't function on 3+ hours of sleep, so we'll see how it shakes out after a couple of days.

Since we are motoring, Dan and Lorraine, on Zephyrus, are 8+ miles behind us and the gap is widening. If there is wind, they will pass us so we need the head start. We are in contact via radio.

As of 7:30 am 17/05/08 (approximately 19.5 hours)

Lat:06 52 North
Long: 083 03 West
Distance made good: 107 nm
Distance remaining: 479 nm

No comments: