Sunday 5 September 2004

September 2004 San Francisco


After arrival, in San Francisco, we hooked up with a local HAM operator, Peter and wife Dei, with whom we'd been in contact at home and on the way down the coast. It was great to finally meet him.

We visited with Dei and Peter in their home and went off for dinner too. They were great hosts and we enjoyed their company.


This is Kim, Linda and I in downtown San Francisco. This was the first and last I saw of the city. The next evening, while readying the boat for a progressive dinner (I being in charge of the main course), I slipped down the companionway steps.

That's me, hiding in the background at the dinner. I was so sore, I just sat in the corner. The next day, I couldn't get out of bed so we moved the boat to the dock, hauled me ashore and took a taxi to the hospital. Diagnosis, $14,000 US later, broken or cracked ribs. I was flat out for a month...missed all of the goings-on there. I didn't leave the boat for the duration.


These are all the members of the Bluewater Cruising association who were in Richardson Bay, Sausalito(except for me, bedridden aboard). There was quite a crew!) It is a great community and they helped Ralph and I avoid killling each other during the month-long patient/nurse endurance test!



This gift is from Denis and Michele, aboard Aquastrian. We saved them, and others, from following in our footsteps and losing their US Cruising permits for not checking in all the way down the coast...we were told, in Friday Harbour, that it wasn't necessary. We regained our permits in Monterey where that customs agent said we should never have lost them in the first place!

No comments: