Tuesday 23 November 2004

November 2004 San Diego

We have now arrived in San Diego. It was not a pretty arrival. We had checked out the dock, all looked OK. Unfortunately, we had underestimated the current there and as we were about to enter our slip, we were pushed sideways and ended up at right angles to it. With a lot of help from our friends, we managed to berth with no damage. So, I decided to have my birthday so that we could all forget our docking! Wasn't that nice of me!

In truth, we had hoped to be in Mexico, for my birthday, but ended up in San Diego instead. Everyone decided to have a dock birthday party for me. As you can see, Kim and I are almost losing our eyebrows with the heat from those candles! And, I think there are only one quarter as many candles as there should be! That cake warmed up the whole dock!
This is Stan, from Sol Mate, along with Kim. They look so proud you'd think they baked that cake themselves...or maybe they've just had too much to drink...nah, that can't be it!
As we were leaving San Diego, a US submarine decided to depart at the same time. We were ordered to keep well away...like we didn't plan to do that anyway!! San Diego is a huge navy port so seeing these, and other warships, was a common occurrence. On our way into port, we were contacted by a "Warship" and ordered to change course to avoid it.


There she goes!!

No comments: